Wednesday, July 31, 2019

What's Hoppin' this Week? 7/31

Happy August everyone! Summer continues to fly by and the heat doesn't show any signs of waning, so it's going to be a good week to stay cool with your favorite beverage.

We'll get to the events in a moment, but first a bit of programming news. As I mentioned last month, I recently took over as the beer columnist for the Spokesman-Review. In addition to my monthly column, my editor has also agreed to allow me to move this What's Hoppin' planner to the paper and website on a weekly basis. I'm definitely excited for this; the entire reason I started this blog was to bring back an events calendar when the Spokesman ended their On Tap blog last year. For the standard reader, not much will change. I'll still be posting the link to all my social media, it will still appear on Wednesday and have events through the following Tuesday. What it will mean for me, however, is that I will start having to basically work a week ahead. The planner will need to be submitted each Friday for publication the following Wednesday. Therefore I'm putting out a special plea to any of the industry folks who read this blog - please either send me info on your beer-related events as you plan them or at least get something up on Facebook or other social media as early as possible. I can't include events that I don't know about. Hopefully, I'll have some leeway to make late additions for the online version, but there are no guarantees. Also do to potentially space constraints in the paper I can't guarantee everything will make it in every week, but I'll do my best to signal-boost anything that gets missed as I see it. The increased eyeballs and reach of the Spokesman should not only help my venture, but also bring more awareness to all of the great beer events happening every week in the INW. Cheers!

On to the events:

Thursday, August 1st


- Community Pint is kicking of their weekend-long anniversary party. A full tap list hasn't been announced yet, but expect a IPA heavy rotation Thursday and Friday with a focus on barrel aged stuff Saturday. Keep an eye on Facebook for full details.

- Nectar in Kendall Yards is holding their Monthly featured flight kickoff from 6 to 8 pm. This month, they will be featuring beers from Olympia-area favorite Three Magnets Brewing and Matchless Brewing. Facebook.

- Bellwether Brewing continues their "Summer of Sours" release series with the "Fimbrethil Pine Kveik." See the event page for a description and story behind the name. Facebook.

- The 3rd edition of the Lester Cup is kicking off and runs through September 15th. This time, six breweries - Bellwether, Black Label, The Grain Shed, Humble Abode, Mountain Lakes and Whistle Punk are battling it out to see who brings home the cup. The theme this time is "Fruit beers." To participate, stop by any of the breweries, pick up a ballot and try their competition beer. Go to each brewery and get your ballot stamped as you try each beer. Once you've had them all, you vote for your favorite and you're eligible to come to the awards party sometime in September. Facebook.

Friday, August 2nd


- Although they now have a full taproom again, River City Brewing is continuing their tradition of throwing First Friday garage parties in their Downtown Spokane location from 4 to 10 pm. There will be live music, a food truck and, of course, plenty of beer. Facebook.

- Although they have been quietly open since Hoopfest weekend, River Rock Taphouse in Downtown Spokane is ready to celebrate their official grand opening all weekend long. There will be live music, tap takeovers, food specials and more. Congrats! Facebook.

- Garland area favorite Bon Bon is hosting Moses Lake's Ten Pin Brewing for a tap takeover and bingo night from 6 to 10 pm. Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Hoppin' this Week? 12.11.19

What’s Hoppin’ This Week: ‘Stoked on Oak,’ Abominable Snowman, doughnut-and-beer dinner and ‘Pints for Paws’